Welcome to Notes from the Backpack, the monthly roundup post from Luxury Backpack! Want to know about my current adventures, what I’ve been reading, and a few anecdotes from my life in the Florida Keys? You are in the right place!
I hope you all had a great month, and have had some fun adventures. I am writing to you from our little home in the Florida Keys, with my baby bump growing bigger and bigger by the day. Now 19 weeks pregnant, the reality of the pregnancy is really starting to sink in.
This month was a big one for our bump as we found out some big news…
We were so happy to find out that we are having a little Mr (and now I can start adding little blue things to my baby registry!) So far, touch wood, my pregnancy has been pretty smooth sailing – I haven’t been sick really apart from some first trimester nausea, and as soon as the fourteen week mark hit my energy came back in a big wave. Some days I forget that I am pregnant for a while – it’s bliss! I quickly remember when my husband orders oysters that I can’t share, or I am the only one at the table just drinking water. Apart from my Zika test, everything has felt like a breeze. I just hope it carries on this way!
We waited to reveal it to our friends when we went out on the dive boat, and whilst taking some fun reveal snaps underwater we revealed it to everyone on the boat as well.
It was such a fun way to share the happy news!
He’s already a total water baby, spending his days at the beach and out on the reef. I can’t wait to see what adventures July brings for this little baby!
This Month’s Adventures
This month we have been relatively low key on the adventure front! I have had a few really fun days out on the dive boat snorkelling the reef (no more diving for me for the time being!) as the conditions have been incredible lately.
We spent the night in Key West and stayed at a gorgeous little guest house/B&B called The Southernmost Inn. I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Perfect location, very clean and pretty inside, and with two adult-only pools in the back, bar, and jacuzzi!
When we were in Key West we went to see the Key West Derby Dames compete in a roller derby! It was the second roller derby I’ve ever been to – the first was in London – and it was a lot of fun! Afterwards we took the long walk back towards Duval through the pretty streets, and had (virgin) cocktails at my favourite cocktail bar Virgilios.
What I’ve Loved Online This Month
- This is the most beautiful and well thought out guide to Louisiana. In fact Bex’s whole blog is gorgeous!
- Fancy going on a roadtrip? This really useful post by Bonvoyage Bitches shows you how to plan a road trip in a day.
- 4th July is coming up! Here are 10 places to spend yours in the USA as chosen by travel bloggers.
- Headed to Morocco? This post will show you exactly what to wear as a woman visiting this country.
- Having fallen out of love with Instagram for a while, I finally got my Instagram-mojo back. Follow Luxury Backpack here!
June’s Favourite Beauty Buys
I’ve been a little bit pamper-crazy this month, and have been trying quite a few new beauty products…
- Glossier products. I love their Invisible Shield 35+facial sunscreen which has to be the best sunscreen I’ve ever tried! It goes on like silk and gives added protection against free-radicals as well as the sun – very necessary for Florida living! I also tried their Cloud Paint in Beam which gives you a sun-kissed pop of colour.
- A friend who is obsessed with Lime Crime spotted this limited edition M$LF kit online and thought it would be the perfect set to try the brand for the first time. I waited to buy it, and actually got it on sale! It’s only $28/£26 for the set of 4 lipsticks, and honestly I love every colour. They are perfect for travel or hot destinations as they last all day without a touch up.
What I’ve Been Reading This Month
Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
This is a really nice little inspirational read about how important it is to make time in your life for creativity. It is also part-memoir, covering Gilbert’s own relationship with writing. There are some interesting anecdotes, and whilst groundbreaking it isn’t, I enjoyed it. Would I recommend it? Sure.
The End Of The Affair by Graham Greene
I have wanted to read this novel for years, as it has quite a respectable following and is often mentioned as being such a literary success. It it more about hate than love, about breaking-up than getting together, and surprisingly more about religion than anything else. And the critics weren’t wrong, it was superbly written. I enjoyed it to a certain point, but did find it a little tedious at times I have to admit. Would I recommend it? Yes.
On The Blog This Month
- Choosing a hotel in Key West was so confusing at first. Having stayed in a lot of them, I decided it was time to share my top 7 tips for choosing a hotel in Key West.
- Coming to the Florida Keys? There is now a whole Fl Keys trip planning section on the blog!
- Confession post: When I lived in London I got into serious debt for a while. This is the story of how I got out of it, whilst still having a social life and making the most of London.
See you next month!
***Please note, this post contains affiliate links. This means that if you buy a product I recommend through my link I earn a very small commission. These blogs cost money, you know! 😉