Welcome to Notes from the Backpack, the monthly roundup post from Luxury Backpack! Want to know about my current adventures, what I’ve been reading, and a few anecdotes from my life in the Florida Keys? You are in the right place! Read last month’s post all about our underwater gender reveal here!
What adventures did everyone get up to in July? I actually only spent one weekend away from home during the whole of July, which must be a new record! It was for our babymoon in Key West which was such a romantic, fabulous weekend. We stayed at the most beautiful hotel, The Southernmost House, which was the perfect destination for some designated time together as a couple before baby-madness sets in.
It was a bit of a baby-crazy month as it was also my baby shower!
My friend Elba wanted to throw me a real American baby shower, and planned me the most special day. There was games, such as guess the bump size, and don’t say the word ‘baby’, mimosas (and sparkling cider for me!) and lots of cake. Everyone wore flower crowns, and the bump and I were spoilt rotten. I can’t get over how generous everyone has been, and am so overwhelmed with all the love and support I have received so far in my pregnancy. Baby has been given pretty much everything he will need, and we are so excited to put everything together and get ourselves properly ready for his arrival in November.
July was actually my last full month in the Florida Keys
August is going to be a very exciting month for me as I am actually leaving the Keys and am embarking on a big adventure! I will miss the Keys so much (although I have to admit the summer heat is hard for a pregnant woman!) These islands have been my home for the past year and a half, and it will be hard saying goodbye for now. But on with the next adventure!
What’s happening with the blog in August
I’ve got some really exciting posts lined up for August, including some Florida Keys posts that I’ve been wanting to write for a while now. I also can’t wait to take you all on this new journey with me. Admittedly I am slightly nervous about a long-haul flight at six months pregnant, so if you have any top tips I’d love to hear them.
Looking forward to an adventure-filled August!
What I’ve Loved Online This Month
- You probably know that my man and I eloped last year. It was truly the right decision for us, albeit hard without our families. Karen from blog WanderlustingK wrote a detailed guide to eloping, from why/why not to do it, to the best places for eloping (I am even featured chatting about our elopement to Miami!).
- This has to be the best guide to street photography I have come cross. Featuring beautiful Paris photography, and tips for how to capture similar shots in the next city you visit.
- Edinburgh fans! Have a look at this wonderful locals guide which features all of the not-to-miss hotspots in the city.
- Fellow blogger Lossul writes his posts in such a captivating, story-telling way, they are more novellas than blogs. His recent series about his travels to Italy had me laughing and cringing (his airport luggage story is something I dread). Find part one here.
- Lastly, my blogging friend Ava, AKA Spa Travel Gal, went on the luxury adventure of her dreams! Feast your eyes on her journey through the Canadian Rockies via glass-dome train, whilst eating decadent food.
July’s Favourite Buys
1. I was so in love with the ASOS dress I wore for my baby shower. I consider it the perfect maternity dress – stretchy, comfortable, and stylish. Of course as I am having a boy it had to be blue, but I will most certainly be cracking this dress out on many occasion to come.
2. I am planning a full post about writing a baby registry (as it took so long it deserves one!) but one of my favourite items I found in the states is this BEAUTIFUL under-the-sea baby play-mat. They also have a matching tummy time toy.
4. We just got this little guy in the mail, and I know our baby is going to love him. If you’re looking for a cute baby gift I just adore cute brand Bunnies by the Bay.
What I’ve Been Reading This Month
Since being pregnant I’ve read a lot less, mainly down to all the baby catalogues and magazines that take the place of books on my coffee table! However, this month I read two incredible books and I enjoyed them equally.
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
This is the heartbreaking story of Dr. Kalianithi, who, on the verge of completing his ten year study to become a neurosurgeon, was diagnosed with terminal cancer. More uplifting than depressing, about life than death, it completely captivated me. Would I recommend it? Definitely.
I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
Malala is an an inspiration to all women of every background. This book is essential reading for anyone wishing to understand a little bit more about Pakistan and the taliban, and is an in-depth account of nobel peace prize winning Malala’s childhood and the slow but steady stripping of women’s rights in Pakistan in recent times. Would I recommend it? Definitely.
On The Blog This Month
- Wanderlust overload! How to have a luxury vacation in the Maldives on a backpackers budget!
- All the details about our Key West babymoon.
- “I’m pregnant and I’m travelling!” What to do if you find out you’re pregnant when abroad.
- The Turtle Hospital in Marathon is a not-to-miss attraction. Look how cute these guys are!
Shop The Post
See you next month!
Don’t forget to follow Luxury Backpack on facebook, twitter, instagram, & bloglovin‘.
***Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you buy a product I recommend through my link I earn a very small commission. These blogs cost money, you know! 😉