Welcome to Notes from the Backpack. This is the weekly post from Luxury Backpack where I offer a slice of a british writer and travel bloggers life in the Florida Keys. Want to know about my current luxury backpacking adventures, what I’ve been reading, and a few anecdotes from my life in the Florida Keys? You are in the right place!
The Florida Keys is a funny place. I try so hard to explain to friends and family back in the UK just how quirky and unique these little islands are, but I just can’t do it justice in one telephone conversation. For to really take it all in you have to experience it for yourself. You have to see past the bright turquoise water and tiki bars, and see the little oddities along the way that make the ‘Conch Republic’ one of a kind.
I was having a conversation with my husband about just how damn weirdly wonderful the Keys are when he devised ‘Florida Keys Bingo’! So read on, and enjoy this week’s bit of fun from the Florida Keys!
What I’ve Been Reading This Week
Want to read something quintessentially English? I just finished Nancy Mitford’s The Pursuit of Love and it was a great read. It follows a titled English family and the misadventures of their beautiful but unruly daughter. It is an amusing insight into the upper class on the verge of WWII.
Would I recommend it? Definitely!
What I’ve Loved Online This Week
- 14 emerging destinations around the world. I’ve been to 2, how many have you been to?
- “What if I am single forever?” Admit it, we’ve all thought that at one point or another. Brenna’s post answering this very question is a really fantastic read.
- This small town in Newfoundland has become suddenly famous due to one huge arrival.
- I’m a big fan of natural beauty, and finding great products that can replace chemical-laden ones is a must for me. This list by Lauren Conrad has some really great suggestions.
- Want to visit Washington, D.C.? Here is how to see everything in 1 day, and WHAT-NOT to miss!
- And lastly, 12 beach essentials for the eco-conscious girl by a Jaunt with Joy.
This Week’s Story – Florida Keys Bingo!
If you are planning a trip to the Florida Keys, you will most likely be driving from Miami down the Overseas Highway, which takes you the whole way to Key West. It is a long and very pretty drive, and the only way to get through the Keys by car.
I devised Florida Keys bingo to keep you entertained on the drive!!!
HOW TO PLAY: Simply cross off every image that you see below, until you get everything in a line, whether up, down or horizontal! Use the ‘free space’ for extra help. For the A* students among us, go the extra mile and see if you can cross off everything on your trip to the Florida Keys! Comment below if you manage to for bragging rights.
MULTIPLAYER & PRINTABLE VERSION: Want to play with friends? Click here for the PRINTABLE BINGO GAME, which includes 4 different versions to keep it fun!
Images, from top to bottom, left to right:
1) An iguana 2) A sunset 3) State park sign 4) Someone smoking a cuban cigar 5) Hemingway’s House 6) A T-Shirt City, Sandal Outlet 7) Key Lime pie 8) An out-of-state license plate 9) Southermost point 10) A stray chicken 11) Salt life sticker 12) The 7-mile bridge 13) FREE SPACE 14) A cuban coffee 15) Tie-dye shirt 16) Sandals + socks 17) A dive flag 18) It’s 5 o’clock somewhere sign 19) A key deer 20) Drinking out of a coconut 21) The Midway Cafe 22) A Panama hat 23) Key West lighthouse 24) Mile Marker 0 25) The Tildens dive shop’s big fish.
Enjoy! And see you same time next Sunday,